To implement a collection care project in Konavle Heritage Museum together with our international cooperating partners from
Dubvronik, Germany and Hungary.
Konavle Heritage Museum:
The Konavle Heritage Museum in Čilipi was founded in 1974. Situated in the centre of Čilipi in a great stone house built in
1909 for the purpose of holding the public events of the rural savings bank and as a Cultural Dome.
Until the Homeland War in 1991, the museum was furnished like a typical Konavle house with furniture, utensils and a fireplace
as well as exhibits of male and female folk costumes and embroidery and weaving. The majority of the exhibits were collected
as gifts from the local population of Konavle, whilst a part was purchased.
The museum was renovated in 2007 and now works as part of the Konavle Museums and Galleries institution. The conserved exhibits
which are part of the Croatian cultural heritage today represent a high-quality exhibition of the folk costumes and textile
products of Konavle, a permanent exhibition of the museum which is complemented by exhibits from the Konavle Association of
Embroiderers. Thanks to its quality, uniqueness and number of exhibits, this local Konavle museum is a source of “Konavle
embroidery” and costumes.
Today there are some more than 600 exhibits in the ethnographic collection of the Konavle Heritage Museum – a preserved pre-war
fundus and items purchased and donated to the museum in the post-war period. It is an exhibition of the highest quality for
male and female folk costumes, embroidery and other textile handcrafts, jewellery, weapons, musical instruments, furniture
and a number of practical items.
International cooperation partners are:
University of Dubrovnik, Arts and Restoration Department
University of Technology, Arts, Sciences, CICS-Cologne Institute of Conservation Sciences
Hungarian University of Fine Arts, Department of Conservation
Museums and Galeries of Konavle (Zavičajni muzej Konavala)