Updated: 14 January, 2016
- basic information
- degree programme students
- non-degree programme students
- exemption / reduction
- application for waiver/equal treatment
Initially, the payment slip is handed over by the Office of Student and Academic Affairs in the course of the admission to a study programme, in subsequent semesters the actual payment data is available via Online-Service.
Students should ensure accessibility by checking and, if applicable configurating the email-address via Online-Service.
A requirement for the begin or continuation of studies is the timely payment of the tuition fee (if applicable) and/or the Austrian Student Union fee each semester.
Please use the exact personal data for the current semester. Otherwise the payment will not be received properly, and without valid payment, admission expires automatically! If required, payment slips can also be picked up personally in the Office of Student and Academic Affairs.
As long as all necessary content requirements (e.g. performance record in central artistic subject, if required) are fulfilled, an automatic continuation takes place upon payment of the Austrian Student Union fee and, if applicable, the requested tuition fee - albeit only at the university which receives the requested payment.
Students who have been admitted to more than one study programme - either at the same or another university - must pay the tuition fee once fee liability takes effect in one of the studies.
Diploma-, Bachelor, Master-, & Doctoral programmes
In first place the requested amount of the tuition fees depends on the nationality; there are several possibilities to apply for a reduction mentioned below on this page.
EU/EWR and Switzerland
Students with EU/EWR or Swiss nationality have to pay
- EUR 18.70 (student union fee)* for the period of study defined in the curriculum** plus two semesters.
- EUR 382.06 (tuition fee and student union fee)* if they exceed the period of study defined in the curriculum** plus two semesters.
** In diploma degree programmes the period of study is seen per study segment, in bachelor, master, and doctoral programmes over the entire period of study. For information on how to complete a study segment see finish study segment.
Students who don´t possess EU/EWR-nationality generally pay EUR 745.42 (student union fee and double amount of tuition fee)***.
Students with nationality quoted in Appendix 3 of the Regulations of Tuition Fees (least developed countries) are exempted from payment liability automatically, they pay only EUR 18.70 (student union fee)***.
Attending individual courses Students attending individual courses in the context of a non-degree programme pay EUR 382.06 (tuition fee and student union fee)*** independent of their nationality.
Postgraduate programmes Instead of the tuition fee, participants pay the Austrian Student Union fee of EUR 18.70*** and a course fee. Related information is provided by the respective postgraduate programme.
Exemption / Reduction of the Tuition fees
Regular and non-regular students
independent of nationality
Degree programme students and Non-degree programme students can apply for a tuition fee waiver independent of their nationality in the following reasons:
- Reception of Student Financial Aid - in the past/current semester.
Documentation: Official confirmation of financial aid.
- Mobility programme - participation in an official student exchange programme
Documentation: is provided automatically by the International Studies Office; an application is not necessary
- Non-programme mobility - after the recognition of ECTS credits collected abroad individually, an application for refund is possible for the respective semester. The ECTS amount must exceed the amount needed for ERASMUS mobility.
Financial need waiver Degree programme students who are citizens of a country quoted in Appendix 1 of the Regulations of Tuition Fees can apply for a tuition fee waiver due to financial problems.
Equal Treatment Degree programme students can file an application to be treated equal to EU/EWR citizens in respect of the requested amount of tuition fees, if
- they can provide an other residence permit than a residence permit for students or
- they can proof that they belong to one of the groups described by the Personengruppenverordnung.
EU/EWR citizens and equal treated non-EU/EWR citizens
independent of nationality
Degree programme students who possess EU/EWR or swiss nationality as well as equal treated (in respect of the requested amount of tuition fees) non-EU/EWR citizens, and all non-degree programme students - independent of their nationality - can apply for a waiver of the tuition fees in the following reasons:
- Illness or pregnancy Inability to study for more than two months.
Documentation: Medical confirmation form.
- Child care Care for children up to their seventh birthday or later school admission.
Documentation: Birth certificate of the child; residence registration document (Meldezettel) of the child and the student; affidavit by the student.
- Paid Employment At least to the minimal employment earnings limit resp. EUR 5,534.34 (2014) or EUR 5,683.72 (2015) during the previous legal year.
Documentation: Income tax report from the appropriate finance authority; for self-employed work also an affidavit.
- Disability Of at least 50% (in line with federal legal statutes).
Documentation: Disabled ID card from the Austrian Social Welfare Office.
- Military or community service Inability to study in a degree programme for more than two months.
Documentation: Conscription notification from military command or the community service agency.
- Multiple studies actually studying in more than one degree programme
Documentation: see directive of the federal ministry
Application for waiver/equal treatment
Waiver and equal treatment The form for the application for tuition fee waiver as well as for the application for equal treatment with EU/EWR-nationals (in respect of the requested amount of tuition fees) can be submitted to the Office of Student and Academic Affairs as soon as the respective requested amount appears in the Online-service.
If the application for tuition fee waiver cannot be completed during the admission period due to missing documentation, then the payment of the requested fee must be made in order to continue studies.
Refund As soon as one of the above-mentioned cases except "financial need" comes into effect, students can apply for reimbursement of the tuition fees via an application for refund (before 30 of September in summer semester, before 31 of March in winter semester).
Forms All necessary forms are available to download in the sidebar to the right.